Bears score late, cap comeback over Archbold

Titus Rohrer’s leaping touchdown grab with 21 seconds remaining capped off a Bryan Golden Bears win 20-17 Friday at Archbold.

The game started with Archbold receiving the opening kickoff. On the sixth play from scrimmage, a pass from Bluestreaks quarterback Brandon Taylor was tipped in the air by Nate Miller, who was playing safety. Miller was able to make the grab and the Bears had the ball at Archbold’s 38 yard line. The Bears ended up punting. The score at the end of the first quarter was 0-0.

Archbold started the scoring in the middle of the second quarter after a 5-play 20 yard drive. Kicker Elijah Zimmerman hit a 35-yard field goal with 6:25 remaining in the half.

On the very next drive, Miller found Rohrer and Brycen Andrews for pass plays of 24 and 39 yards respectively. After another pass to Rohrer for 13 yards, Bryan had it first and goal from the 3 yard line. Dom James went off tackle for the score, making it 7-3 Bears.

Late in the first half, the Bluestreaks were driving and had the ball first and goal from the Bryan 8 yard line with under a minute remaining. Bryan stopped Archbold on fourth down, turning the ball over to the Bears on the one yard line. Bryan would take a 7-3 lead in to halftime.

The teams had a scoreless third quarter with a total of five drives ending in punts.

In the fourth, after Bryan had to punt from its own 4 yard line, Archbold put together a three play, 34 yard drive capped off by a 16 yard touchdown run by Zach Rocha down the right sideline. With the conversion, the Bluestreaks led 10-7 with 5:52 remaining in the game.

Bryan would answer, putting together its own drive, this time a 10 play, 58 yard drive. On first and goal from the Bluestreaks 3 yard line, James scored his second touchdown to make it 13-10 with 2:39 remaining, following a missed extra point.

Archbold had moved the football quickly, but back-to-back sacks of Taylor seemed to quell the threat from the Bluestreaks. But a questionable targeting call on Bryan’s Matt Herold, and then a holding penalty on the Bears kept the drive alive.

With 48 seconds remaining in the game, Taylor found Isaac Gomez for a 28 yard touchdown reception. With the point after good, Archbold would take the lead 17-14.

On the ensuing kickoff, Connor Arthur returned the ball to the Bryan 45 yard line. Miller then found Andrews streaking across the middle of the field for a completion. Andrews stretched the gain to a 37 yard pickup.

After an incomplete pass, Miller regrouped to find Rohrer leaping in the end zone over the Archbold defender for the score to put the Bears on top again 20-17.

Archbold, who was without timeouts, was able to get gains of 12 and 14 yards on passes from Taylor. With five seconds to play, the Streaks tried to extend the play with a series of laterals, then fumbled with Bryan recovering to end the game.

Bryan’s Miller was 13-22 for 191 yards passing and one touchdown. Leading rusher was Peters, who had 27 yards on 9 carries. Andrews caught 6 balls for 105 yards, while Rohrer made 4 catches for 61 yards and the winning touchdown.

With the win, the Bears move to 5-1 on the season, and remained tied with Patrick Henry and Liberty Center at the top of the NWOAL standings with a perfect 3-0 record. Archbold, meanwhile, has lost two straight and is now 4-2 on the season, and 1-2 in the league.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.